Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Are you there, God? It's me, Norman.

As a general matter, I experience sufficient difficulty slogging through a day of work without writing about it. Every now and then, however, the constant low-level agitation and dread explode into full-fledged Grand Guignol. For instance -- don't blame the messenger! -- this morning, as I was turning into the corridor from our offices, I overheard the tail end of a co-worker's litany of grievances as she and another emerged from the ladies':
"And on top of everything, I got my period. (beat) It stained my underwear."
Seriously, God, are you there? Please deliver me from this place. And restore my hearing.

Although I wanted you to be aware of another of the petty indignities that beset poor Norman, I am truly sorry, gentle reader, for the vulgarity and insensitivity of this post. As penance, I will attempt in my next entry to take up the cause of melodramas, the so-called woman's pictures or weepies, in a noir context. Bear with me, though; I'm still convalescing from my unfortunate encounter.

3 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger shandon said...

At least she didn't say "panties."

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Norman said...

Had she, I would have taken a personal day.
(Actually, I did consider "spicing up" the quote accordingly, but you know, fealty to the truth and all.)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Norman, I'm so sorry. Girls can be so insensitive! I can honestly say I've never participated in such a disturbing conversation. I do, however, deal in women's apparel and, believe me, I've learned WAY too much about the cycles of these crazies. What do you say when a grown woman comes to you asking for underpants because she's "had an accident"? I never ask for details, just hand over the goods and pretend it never happened. (I'm hoping this little story makes you feel a little better.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home